Varennes Military Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

The cemetery was laid out by the 39th Casualty Clearing Station in August 1916, during the Battle of the Somme, but the first burials were made during August and September by more mobile divisional Field Ambulances. The 4th and 11th Casualty Clearing Stations then used the cemetery from October 1916, joined by the 47th from December 1916, but by May 1917 Varennes was deserted and remained so until the Germans launched their offensive in this quarter in April 1918. The cemetery was then extended by the 17th and 38th (Welsh) Divisions by the addition of plots II and III, and at the beginning of September 1918, the 3rd Canadian and 59th Casualty Clearing Stations arrived at Varennes.

 

The cemetery contains 1,219 burials of the First World War, two of which were brought in from Varennes Communal Cemetery in 1934. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (1191)
  • New Zealand (16)
  • Canadian (5)
  • South African (4)
  • Australian (2)
  • Russian (1)

Served in

  • Army (1095)
  • Navy (103)
  • Air Force (21)
Varennes MC
PDF – 43.0 KB