Marcoing Communal Cemetery

Historical  Information (Source: CWGC)

Marcoing was captured by the 29th Division on the 20th November, 1917, the first day of the Battle of Cambrai. After repeated attacks it was evacuated, under orders, in December 1917. It was retaken on the 28th September, 1918, by the 62nd (West Riding) Division. Marcoing Communal Cemetery was used by German troops before the Battle of Cambrai 1917, and by British troops during the battle. The 129 German graves have been removed, and eight British soldiers buried by the enemy are now reburied in St. Souplet British Cemetery.


There are now over 20, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 10 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 12 British casualties whose graves in the cemetery were not individually identified and three others destroyed by shell fire.


Served in

  • Army (17)


  • France (17)