Brussels Town Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
Brussels was in German hands from 20 August 1914 to the date of the Armistice. The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. Commonwealth forces did not return until September 1944, but in the intervening years, many airmen were shot down or crashed in raids on strategic objectives in Belgium, or while returning from missions over Germany. Most of the Second World War casualties buried in the town cemetery died on lines of communication duties after the liberation of Brussels at the beginning of September 1944, but a few date from the brief period that the BEF spent in Belgium in May 1940.
There are 1.147 German War Graves from the First World War. The tempel is designed by Prof. Wilhelm Kreis in 1917.