Gent City Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
Gent (also known as Ghent) was occupied by French Marines and the British 7th Division early in October 1914, but evacuated on the 11th. It them remained in German hands until reoccupied by the Belgians on 10 November 1918. The Germans returned to Gent in May 1940 and remained there until the city's liberation on 10 September 1944. In May 1940, the main fighting around Gent occurred near the junction of the Ghent-Bruges and Terneuzen canals, and in September 1944, it was the northern part of the city that was most heavily affected.
Gent City Cemetery contains a military plot of 32 French, 24 Italian and 12 Russian War Graves.