Bus House Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
This cemetery stands behind a farm-house that was called "Bus House" by the troops during the First World War. It was made in June-November 1917, but one grave of January 1915 was brought in during the war, and four more were added in April 1918. The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion in May 1940, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. A number were killed during the battle on the Ypres-Comines canal and were originally buried where they died, but in 1941 their graves were brought in from sites scattered throughout the commune for reburial in this cemetery.
Bus House Cemetery contains 206 First World War burials,12 of them unidentified, and 79 from the Second World War, nine of them unidentified. There are also two French war graves within the cemetery. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.
· United Kingdom (255)
· Australian (10)
· Canadian (1)
· Army (266)