Lievin Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Lievin was captured by the Canadian Corps on the 14th April 1917, and remained in British hands until the end of the War. The Extension was made after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields North and South of Lens and from certain smaller cemeteries.The majority of the soldiers buried here fell in April 1917, but others were killed as early as January 1915, and as late as October 1918.
There are now nearly 700, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over half from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials are erected to ten soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada who are believed to be buried in the Extension. Other special memorials record the names of three men of the 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion, buried at King's Cross Military Cemetery, Souchez, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 2,294 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.
· United Kingdom (200)
· Canadian (100)
· Army (289)
· Navy (6)
· Air Force (5)