Motor Car Corner Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

In this sector, Motor Car Corner marked the point beyond which military cars were not allowed to proceed towards the front. The cemetery was begun in June 1917 at the outbreak of the Battle of Messines and continued in use until the end of March 1918. It was originally sheltered by an avenue of trees and used in conjunction with a trench railway. The cemetery was in German hands between 10 April and 29 September 1918, during which period they extended it northwards. These German graves were later removed.

The cemetery now contains 131 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. One German war grave remains, designed by G H Goldsmith.

 

Served with

  • New Zealand (81)
  • United Kingdom (37)
  • Australian (9)
  • German (1)

Served in

  • Army (127)
  • Air Force (1)
Motor Car Corner
PDF – 61.5 KB