Gent City Cemetery

History Information (Source: CWGC)

Gent (also known as Ghent) was occupied by French Marines and the British 7th Division early in October 1914, but evacuated on the 11th. It them remained in German hands until reoccupied by the Belgians on 10 November 1918. The Germans returned to Gent in May 1940 and remained there until the city's liberation on 10 September 1944. In May 1940, the main fighting around Gent occurred near the junction of the Ghent-Bruges and Terneuzen canals, and in September 1944, it was the northern part of the city that was most heavily affected.

 

Gent City Cemetery contains military plots of many nationalities, including Commonwealth. The First World War Commonwealth graves, which total 86, are prisoners of war buried there during the German occupation, plus two brought in from Jabbeke Churchyard after the Armistice. In addition, nearby, are 111 of the Second World War. The Commission plot is on the extreme right hand side of the Cemetery 500 metres from the main gate.

 

Served with

  • United Kingdom (183)
  • Canadian (10)
  • Australian (1)
  • Dutch (1)
  • New Zealand (1)

Served in

  • Army (176)
  • Air Force (16)
  • Navy (4)
Gent city Cem
PDF – 88.7 KB