Lebucquiere Communal Cemetery Extension

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Lebucquiere village was occupied by Commonwealth forces on 19 March 1917, following the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line. It was recaptured by the Germans on 23 March 1918, after fierce resistance by the 19th (Western) Division, and was finally reoccupied by the 5th Division on 3 September 1918. The communal cemetery extension was begun on 24 March 1917 and was used by the 1st Australian Division and other units for almost a year. After the reoccupation of the village in September 1918, it was used again for a fortnight. At the Armistice, the cemetery contained 150 burials, but it was then greatly enlarged when graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields.

 

The extension now contains 774 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 266 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials 20 casualties known or believed to be buried among them and to one soldier buried in Bertincourt German Military Cemetery, whose remains could not be found on concentration. The cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

 

Served with

·         United Kingdom (423)

·         Australian (63)

·         New Zealand (21)

·         Canadian (1)

·         German (1)

·         South African (1)

Served in

·         Army (493)

·         Air Force (11)

·         Navy (6)

Lebucquiere Com Cem Ext
PDF – 33.2 KB