The Potijze Chateau Cemeteries

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

The old chateau grounds at Potijze are the site of three Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries containing over 850 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. Potijze Chateau Grounds, Potijze Chateau Lawn, and Potijze Chateau Wood cemeteries were all formed in the spring of 1915 and used for the burial of Commonwealth soldiers until 1918. The architectural features of the cemeteries were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield in the 1920s. Potijze during the First World War For almost the entire period of the First World War the village of Potijze was held by the Commonwealth forces but stood directly behind the Allied trenches and was well within range of German guns. It was here that soldiers entered the communication and support trenches that led to the front-line.

 

Although subject to constant shell fire Potijze Chateau, a country house dating from the nineteenth century, remained intact throughout the war and was occupied and used by Commonwealth troops.

 

Potijze Chateau Grounds

Served with

·         United Kingdom (295)

·         Canadian (47)

·         Australian (22)

·         New Zealand (2)

·         South African (1)

Served in

·         Army (367)

Potijze Chateau Lawn

Served with

·         United Kingdom (162)

·         Canadian (22)

·         South African (9)

·         Australian (4)

·         German (3)

Served in

·         Army (196)

·         Air Force (4)

Potijze Chateau Grounds
PDF – 32.1 KB