Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery
History Information (Source: CWGC)
The cemetery was begun in April 1915 at the North-end of a small plantation of larches. It was used by troops holding this sector, particularly the 46th (North Midland) Division and the 1st Dorsets, until April 1918. It was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of Ypres and from smaller cemeteries.
The cemetery contains 856 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 321 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to 82 casualties known or believed to be buried in the cemetery. Other special memorials record the names of five casualties buried in German cemeteries whose graves could not be found on concentration. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
· United Kingdom (438)
· Canadian (76)
· Australian (24)
· German (1)
· Army (515)
· Air Force (21)
· Navy (2)
· Merchant Navy (1)