Gorre British and Indian Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The chateau at Gorre was occupied early in the war by troops serving with the British Expeditionary Force and the Indian Corps, and the cemeteries, located in the south-east corner of original the chateau grounds, were begun in the autumn of 1914. The Indian section of the cemetery was closed in October 1915, shortly before the Indian infantry divisions left France for redeployment to the Middle East. Many of those who now lie in plots V and VI of the British section of the cemetery were killed during the Battle of Estaires in April 1918.
There are now over 930 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated here. The cemetery, which was designed by Charles Holden, also contains nine war graves of other nationalities, most of them German.
- United Kingdom (815)
- Indian (80)
- German (6)
- South African (2)
- Australian (1)
- Army (900)
- Air Force (4)