Railway Hollow Cemetery, Hebuterne
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Hebuterne village remained in Allied hands from March 1915 to the Armistice, although during the German advances of the summer of 1918, it was practically on the front line. Railway Hollow Cemetery is in the British support line of July 1916, about 1,100 metres west of Serre and 200 metres west of the plantation called "Mark Copse." It was made by the V Corps (as V Corps Cemetery No.3) when the Somme battlefields were cleared in 1917, and contains the graves of soldiers of the 3rd, 19th and 31st Divisions who died on 1 July and 13 November 1916, and 5 February 1917.
The cemetery contains 107 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 44 of which are unidentified. There are also two French war graves. The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.
- United Kingdom (63)
- Army (63)