Haverskerque British Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Haverskerque remained in British hands from October 1914, to the end of the War, but from April to August 1918, it was within 5 kilometres of the front line. The Cemetery was begun in March 1918, by the 33rd and 54th Casualty Clearing Stations, and carried on by fighting units during the Battles of the Lys. After the Armistice a small number of graves were brought in from isolated positions, and two Portuguese graves were removed.
There are now nearly 100, 1914-18 and 50, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Thirteen graves from the 1914-18 War cannot be located, and are represented by special memorials and by five unnamed headstones. From the 1939-45 War, over 20 are unidentified. The Cemetery covers an area of 403 square metres and is enclosed by a stone rubble wall.
- United Kingdom (109)
- New Zealand (2)
- German (1)
- Army (102)
- Air Force (10)