Lille Southern Cemetery - German War Cemetery
Historical Information (Source: Wikipedia)
On the north-eastern edge of the cemetery is a German military perk. Here, 2,888 German fallen from the First World War rest. During the war, the Germans buried their fallen after the summer of 1914 first at the Porte de Douai, but then the civil cemetery was expanded with a site that was set up as a German military cemetery. The German field hospitals kept their dead here during the war and a large monument was erected here in 1915.
After the war, the German perk was extended when German counts from the area around Lille were transferred here. The monument was later demolished due to the construction of the building. In the second half of the 20th century the cemetery was redeveloped and in 1978 the temporary grave crosses were replaced by crosses in natural stone. The German perk (Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Lille-Süd) is maintained by the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge.