Bapaume Australian Cemetery

Historical Information (Source: CWGC)

Bapaume was occupied by German forces on the 26th September, 1914, and by the British on the 17th March, 1917; it was retaken by the Germans on the 24th March, 1918, and by the New Zealand Division on the following 29th August. It has given its name to the battles of the 24-25th March, 1918, and the 31st August to 3rd September, 1918. It was severely damaged by both sides during the War. Bapaume was later "adopted" by the City of Sheffield. Bapaume Australian Cemetery was begun in March, 1917, by the 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Station and used until the following June, and in April and May, 1918, 23 German graves were added to Row C.

 

There are now over 80, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The cemetery covers an area of 542 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.

 

Served with

  • Australian (74)
  • German (19)
  • United Kingdom (13)
  • Indian (1)

Served in

  • Army (106)
  • Air Force (1)
Bapaume Australian Cem
PDF – 24.8 KB