Bois-Carre Military Cemetery, Haisnes
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
Haisnes village remained in German hands until the final advance in the year 1918, but parts of the commune were gained by British troops in the Battle of Loos. Bois-Carre Military Cemetery is named from a small copse about 274 metres to the South-West. It was begun in September, 1915, and used, largely by the 16th (Irish) Division, until August, 1916, one more grave being added in March 1918.
There are now over 200, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly a quarter are unidentified and the graves of 47, destroyed by shell fire, are now represented by special memorials. The irregular arrangement of the rows is due to the difficult conditions under which these burials were carried out. The cemetery covers an area of 1,649 square metres.
- United Kingdom (174)
- Army (174)