Bruay Communal Cemetery Extension
Historical Information (Source: CWGC)
The extension to the communal cemetery was begun by French troops in October 1914, on land belonging to the Compagnie des Mines de Bruay. When the French Tenth Army handed over this part of the line to Commonwealth forces in March 1916, the 22nd Casualty Clearing Station, which was established at Bruay, continued to bury in it. Nearly half the burials in the extension are from the Canadian Corps who occupied this sector from early in 1917.
There are now 412 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the extension. The Commonwealth plots, which were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, also contain some French and German war graves.
- Canadian (276)
- United Kingdom (129)
- German (26)
- Indian (9)
- South African (1)
- Army (427)
- Air Force (13)
- Navy (1)